Monday, May 12, 2008

Time and Oppertuinity Costs or I'm No Longer Even Trying to Pass AP Micro

Latley, I've been thinking that perhaps I might fail the AP Micro exam. I'm kind of lost, and every time I sit down to take an AP sample test something happens and I get distracted (like my mom's ex-husband calling my house and ringing the phone for three minutes straight during the free response. Naturally, I ignored it and was too distracted and pissed off to continue). Or I just fail. Or I'm just too stressed out to actually do anything and I don't bother because I've given up.

Knowing that my college will take only a four or a five and that I'll have to take econ in college for my Broadfield Social Studies (or I'll never have to take it if I don't do econ as part of my broadfield) I'm wondering if studying for this exam is a waste of my time. I've spent $84 on the exam; that's a sunk cost. Now I'm wondering if I want to throw more time after money that's already gone. Studying for this exam enough to do well on it (ie-get a 4 or 5) would require a lot of time and energy: two things I am currently lacking. I think I would increase my utility a lot more tonight by planning my next two week's worth of softball practices, calling my kids and letting them know when practices are, going for a run and petting my cat.

I know McDainel is going to have a beef about this blog, but I hope she sees my economic reasoning. Perhaps if I had put more effort into studying during the semester, I wouldn't be in this situation. But right now I don't have the mental energy to keep this up. Enough is enough. I am going to try my best on the econ test and maybe hell will freeze over, I'll get lucky and get that 4 or 5. Right now, however, the oppertuinity costs of studying are too great to throw time after a sunk cost of $84.

3 comments:

martywiese said...

Hmmm, I never thought about using sunk costs as a means of calculating utility, which always seemed like such an abstract concept to me.

Trying to figure out the value of a few hours free time and petting the cat, etc. might be otherwise impossible, but you can discern that it's worth at least $84, as observed by the fact that you're willing to accept an $84 sunk cost in return for these hours.

Similarly, last year I was willing to accept a $200 sunk cost for a weekend of not going to Branson, partially because I was exhausted after returning from Europe, partially because I missed my boy, and partially because I was pissed with the rooming assignments and the people that were going. Huge sunk cost for a high schooler, I know, but I haven't regretted my choice yet...

KM said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

(thunk)

KM said...

Don't you freakin' DARE blow this off tonight.

Look a few things over. Get some sleep. Try your best.

But do NOT blow it off. You know a LOT more than you think you do.

Way to piss me off just as I'm going home. jeez.

:)